To facilitate the participation of Blantyre City residents in the management of their city through the realisation of the Council’s motto “Taking the City back to the People”
Cllr Ndipo who represents people of Chigumula Ward is a businessman.
He is deputised by Councillor Joseph Nyson Makwinja.
Below is an interview conducted immediately after his elections:
- First of all, congratulations on your ascendance to the position of Mayor of Blantyre City. In brief, who is Cllr. Wild Ndipo?
I am the first born in the family of four. I passed my Malawi School Certificate of Education at Lunzu Secondary School in 1991. I did Mechanic Engineering at Polytechnic Board of Governors in 1992 to 1994 and meanwhile I am studying Diploma in Information Technology. I worked for picture post international from 1992 to 1995. I was elected Councillor for Chigumula Ward in 2014 and I was also elected Deputy Mayor in the same year. On 9th January 2017 I was elected as Mayor of Blantyre City.
- How do you intend to involve fellow Councillors in the running of the City?
I will always make sure that my fellow councillors are taken on board in all council activities and that they fully participate in those activities, be policy or developmental in nature. I will also be listening to their contributions which I believe come from Blantyre City residents.
- You didn’t just contest for the position, what is your vision for Blantyre City?
Let me promise the residents of Blantyre that I will improve the outlook of our City beyond recognition, develop and launch Service Charter in order to foster efficiency, accountability and effectiveness. I will also facilitate the review of bylaws which are currently outdated.
I will improve Locally Generated Revenue by putting all properties into our system in order to ease service delivery. I shall also engage in projects aimed at converting waste into energy inform of electricity and biogas. My office will also make sure that the congestion we all experience is reduced by improving the road network.
There is also need to facilitate installation of street lights and flood lights, rehabilitation of our sewer lines and plant waste water treatment.
- If you were to list, what do you think are the most pressing issues facing Blantyre City at the moment?
Waste Management, sewer system, the condition of Mudi, Naperi and Limbe rivers, traffic management, road network, lack of recreation centers and street lighting.
- You will be Mayor for the next two and half years, what do you hope to accomplish for the city?
I will make sure that the City is clean and green. Blantyre City should also have good road network and that there is no congestion in our roads.
- Definitely, Blantyre City Council cannot achieve its aspirations without the involvement of residents: can you elaborate on how ordinary citizens can help you realise your dream of a city?
Blantyre City residents are always welcome to say out their issues that concern the City. They can come through our offices or through our internet pages like Facebook. I will engage the residents of Blantyre City through participatory budgets sessions. During these sessions, the residents are welcome to voice out their ideas concerning the development budget of the City. As the motto of Blantyre City Council says “Taking the City to the People”, Blantyre residents should own the City. Let us love our City. We should not vandalize.
- How do you intend to balance personal, family life with your new responsibility of looking after the whole Blantyre?
Remember in 2014 I was elected Deputy Mayor of Blantyre City. I have balanced my personal, family and my responsibility as Deputy Mayor for two and half years. It will not be difficult for me this time around to balance.
- Do you have any special message to Blantyre City residents?
My fellow Blantyre City residents, let us all own the City by keeping our surroundings clean and green. Pay City rates demand better services.
Curriculum Vitae for The former Mayor of Blantyre City Councillor Noel Chalamanda
To contribute to the business development in the local and international jurisprudence and help in bringing meaningful contribution to business growth and development. My vision is to head one of the major companies in the banking, insurance or telecommunications companies
Keys of Success.
- Integrity and Ethics
- Leadership and Teamwork
- Self Assessment and Continuous Improvement.
C/O Knight & Knight Phone: +265 9 910 910
P.O Box 1450 Mobile: +265 8 788 777
Blantyre Fax . +265 1 820 601
Malawi Email: email@example.com
To find a challenging position to meet my competencies, capabilities, skills, education and experience with the hope to make an impact and significant contribution in the development of business.
Date of Birth: 4th January 1975.
Place of Birth: Blantyre, Malawi.
Civil Status: Married
June 2014 – Present Mayor for the City of Blantyre.
Duties Heading the Council of The Blantyre City Council in providing policy direction to the Council
May 2003 – Present Legal Practitioner and Partner
Knight & Knight (Attorneys & Law Consultants)
- Responsible for recruitment and human resource;
- Responsible for staff welfare;
- Sourcing new business and managing the existing Client
- Management of professional and support staff; and
- Overseeing purchases of equipment and property.
- Drafting security and other documents.
- Human Rights Law Litigation. (on pro bono basis, on most cases.)
- Company Law, & Corporate Governance.
- Corporate Law matters and Company Secretarial work
- Commercial Law Litigation and Lecturing.
- Employment and Industrial Relations matters.
- Civil and Criminal Law litigation.
- Debt collection.
- Researching and Drafting Legal Opinions in Criminal and Civil Law.
- Corporate Law matters and Company Secretarial work.
- Legal Consultancies and Opinions.
February 2011 to Part-Time Lecturer
2012 . Catholic University of Malawi
- Delivering lectures to University students in Business and Commercial Law.
2010 to Consultant at Alliance Invest
Duties and Skills
- Advising prospective investors on the procedures and processes required to invest in Malawi;
- Processing investment requirements for investors
- Attending to immigration matters, tax matters, market research, labour issues, company incorporation, trademarks registration for prospective investors.
2011 to Consultant at Jurohub Consulting
Duties and Skills Research, training and conference management on the following Electoral Law; Human Rights Law;Constitutional and Administrative Law, and Rule of Law and Governance, Corruption and Money Laundering.
August to Law Intern
October 2006 Doughty Law Street Chambers. (London)
- Legal research on all litigation matters.
- Researching and writing legal Opinions on human rights cases.
- Participating in Human Rights Lectures and Conferences.
- Court attendances .
June 2000 to Legal Practitioner
May 2003 Lawson & Company
- Research and Writing of legal Opinions on Human Rights Cases, Constitutional and Administrative Law Cases.
- Commercial Law
- Trademarks Drafting and Conveyancing.
- Researching and Drafting Legal Opinions in Criminal and Civil
Law, Employment Law, Human Rights and Corporate Law matters.
April 2000 to Legal Practitioner
May 2000 SacranieGow& Co
- Civil and Criminal Litigation.
- Researching and Drafting Legal Opinions in Civil Law, Employment Law, Corporate Law matters.
- Preparation of Legal Opinions.
January 2000 to Volunteering Legal Advocate.
June 2008 CIVIL LIBERTIES COMMITTEE (CILIC) AND CENTRE FOR LEGAL ASSISTANCE (CELA)
- Provision of legal service in the form of counselling, advice and representation in court for the poor and vulnerable
- Human rights awareness campaigns in schools and rural areas.
- Fundraising for the Organisations.
- Provision of legal service, in the form of advice and consultations.
- Masters of Laws Degree in International Human Rights Law – University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom. (2010)
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) Degree, Chancellor College, University of Malawi, 2000.
Other Awards Obtained and Courses Attended.
- Certificate in International, Regional and National Human Rights Law, 1998.
- Certificate in Evaluation of Education Programmes – The Danish Centre of Human Rights, Denmark – 2003
- Certificate in Civil and Criminal Litigation Skills – British Council, Malawi,2003.
- Attended an International Bar Association Conference on Human Rights – Livingston Zambia – 2003.
- Attended a Conference on the Rights of the Aged – Nairobi, Kenya – 2003
- Certificate in Corporate Governance, Blantyre, Malawi, – 2011
- Certificate in Corporate Governance, Mangochi, Malawi 2009
MEMBERSHIP TO PROFESSIONAL AND OTHER BODIES.
- Member of the Malawi Law Society ( 2000 to date)
- Vice President Of the Malawi Law Society.( 2010 to 2011)
- Member of the International Bar Association.
- A member of the SADC Lawyers Association.
- Trustee of the Malawi Secretaries Association.
- Malawi Law Society’s Representative on the Board of the Media Council of Malawi. (2010 to date)
- Malawi Law Society’s Representative at the Consumer Protection Council. (2010 to date)
- Board member of the Malawi Regulatory Authority (MACRA) and Chairman of the Legal and Administrative Committee of MACRA. (2010 to 2012)
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the St. Joseph Hospital (2002 to 2007) .
- Founder and member of the Paralegal resource centre of the University of Malawi (1999 -2005)
- Member of the Clinical Legal Education Advisory Committee of the Chancellor College, Faculty of Law. (2004 to present)
- Member of the Board of Trustees for the Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace of Chikwawa Diocese (2004 – 2007)
- Member of the Board of Trustees for the Foundation For Relief, Education and Development. (2003 – 2006)
- Member of the Board of Trustees for the Youth Advice Bureau (2004 – 2007)
- Member of the Civil Liberties Committee (CILIC) (Human Rights Non – governmental Organisation)- Lawyers Chapter.
- President of the Civil Liberties Committee, Lawyers Chapter (2006 -2008)
- Member of the Board of Trustees for the Center for Legal Assistance (CELA) (Human Rights Non – governmental Organisation) (2001 – to date)
- Board member of Malawi Postal Corporation (2006 – 2008)
- Director and/or Company Secretary of Legal Affairs of several Companies including Mulli Group of Companies, Eagle Insurance Brokers Ltd, Chikowa Farm Limited, Swoop Security Co. Limited, Elsewedy Southern Africa Co Ltd.
Skill Level Years Practiced
MS Word, MS Excel, Intermediate 10 years
Internet Research Expert 7 -8 years