Grant Sichali: Director of Works and Engineering Services
Directorate of Works and Engineering Services
DESIGN AND CONTRACTS SECTION
This ensures provision of engineering design services for various projects undertaken by the Council.
The following are the main objectives of the section.
- To provide comprehensive engineering design service with regard to Council Schemes.
- To successfully implement Council Capital Expenditure Programs
The Design and Contracts section performs the following tasks;
- Consultation with all interested parties in project management.
- Preparation of project Bills of Quantities (BOQs) and control costs of projects within reasonable limits (10 to 15 percent contingencies)
- Improvement of quality control of contracted services.
- Provision of advice to planning highway and drainage matters regarding major developments.
BUILDING MAINTENANCE SECTION
This provides building maintenance services to Council’s premises
- Provision of enhanced working environment by efficiently maintaining all council property.
- Improve and maintain water points and protected wells.
- Receiving and recording maintenance requests
- Preparing and executing planned building decoration program
- Application of disinfectants to water wells
- Clearing domestic sewage blockages
- Erection and uprooting of national flags within the streets
- Provision of dais and tent on request to VIP Functions
HIGHWAYS AND ROADS SERVICES
This is responsible for road maintenance projects under the Council’s jurisdictions.
- To Maintain and improve access and mobility by effective management of the highways.
- To improve pedestrian traffic security by introduction of traffic calming measures and maintenance of footpaths
- To improve traffic management and control so as to maximize the potential of the highways network to serve employment –generating development.
- To grade earth and gravel roads
- Rehabilitation of bus shelters
- De-silting of drains
- Re-graveling of gravel roads
- Maintenance of footbridge decks and piers
- Maintenance of footpaths
- Renewal of road markings to all strategic roads
- Repairing and replacing of traffic signs, street nameplates and directional signs
ELECTRICAL AND STREET LIGHTING SECTION
This provides the Council with electrical services
- Replacement of damaged street lighting poles
- Replacement of lamps and lamp fittings
- Replacement of switch gear and repair of faulty gear.
- Correction of time switches
- Replacement of power lines
- Re-painting of poles
- Repairing and maintenance of faulty equipment and building electrical installations
FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICES
Ensures fire safety measures are adhered to in the City. It has the following goals
- Provision of enhanced public security
- Reduction of prevalence of fire incidents
- Provision of fire rescue services
- Attending to fire incidents
- Organizing and conducting training for external employees of industries
- Organizing internal training
- Inspecting industries and commercial entities for compliance with fire protection standards
- Inspecting fire hydrants for performance
- Attending to rescue services when called upon
POLLUTION CONTROL SERVICES
Ensures that water and air pollution control measures within the City, are put in place and well monitored
- Control of water and air pollution due to industrial activities
- Effective and efficient collection, treatment and management of both domestic and industrial effluent.
- Management of Waste Water Treatment Plants
- Collection of samples from industries as well as strategic water resources points for laboratory analysis
- Clearing of sewage blockages
- Maintenance of Waste Water Treatment Plants
- Operation of Waste Water Treatment Plants
- Inspection of sewers
TRANSPORT AND MECHANICAL WORKSHOP SERVICES
- To provide Council service section with maximum vehicle usage.
- To maintain and operate Council fleet efficiently.
- Prepare vehicle maintenance schedule and attend to vehicles for maintenance.
- Allocation of drivers and operative to vehicle and plant
- Panel beat and spray paint accident damaged vehicles
- Analyze vehicle maintenance records
- Attend to breakdowns immediately
- To process accident reports and insurance requirements with administration
The following outlines how the administration of projects is handled
- New projects are identified through the process of participatory budgeting process
- Views are fed into the budget through various departments
- Implementation is done using the approved budget
- Emergencies are done as when they occur