Blantyre City Council invites application for the position of Welder tenable in the Directorate of Engineering services.
REPORTING : Assistant Director of Engineering Services (P)
GRADE : M8/S4
SALARY: In line with Terms and Conditions of Services for Blantyre City Council
Professional Certification (e.g. an AWS welding certificate) and
Successful completion of a relevant apprenticeship program will be a plus.
- Reading blueprints and drawings and taking measurements to plan layout and procedures
- Determining the appropriate welding equipment or method based on requirements
- Set up components for welding according to specifications (e.g. cut material with powered saws to match measurements)
- Operate angle grinders to prepare the parts that must be welded
- Align components using calipers, rulers etc. and clamp pieces
- Weld components using manual or semi-automatic welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or overhead)
- Repair machinery and other components by welding pieces and filling gaps
- Test and inspect welded surfaces and structure to discover flaws
- Maintain equipment in a condition that does not compromise safety
- Carry out planned maintenance checks
- Respondto emergency calls
- Conserve resources wherever possible to ensure budgetary integrity and institution’s satisfaction
- Submit timely reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Proven experience as welder
- Experience using a variety of welding equipment and procedures (TIG, MMA etc.)
- Experience in using electrical or manual tools (saws, squares, calipers etc.)
- Deftness/steady hand and great attention to detail
- Knowledge of different kinds of metal and their properties is essential
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings
- Knowledge of relative safety standards and willingness to use protective clothing (face-shield, gloves etc.)
- Proficient in English
- Self-directed, always looking ahead and is detail-oriented.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Secretary Appointments and Disciplinary Committee
Blantyre City Council
Private Bag 67
Closing date for receiving applications is Friday, 21st April, 2023