Vacancy: Plant Operator.
Blantyre City Council invites application for the position of Plant Operator tenable in the Directorate of Engineering services.
REPORTING : Chemist
GRADE : TM I-III
SALARY: In line with Terms and Conditions of Services for Blantyre City Council
QUALIFICATIONS:Diploma and/or trade test certificate in Motor Vehicle Mechanics.
Candidates having a few years of experience in operation and maintenance of sewage pumps and components in addition to having strong analytical, problem-solving, and teamwork skills will have an added advantage
- Operates and maintains wastewater treatment, sludge processing, and handling equipment.
- Tends pumps, conveyors, blowers, chlorinators, vacuum filters, and other equipment used to treat wastewater.
- Coordinates work by scheduling assignments and overseeing the work of other workers within the plant
- Explains work instructions and adapts, if necessary, pertinent general methods and procedures in order to meet required needs.
- Provides training to other workers within the plant
- Collects samples and makes routine chemical analyses of wastewater at various points in the plant process.
- Cleans and maintain equipment, tanks, filter beds, intake wells and drying beds, and other work areas
- Skims grease, pumps sludge, and transfers sludge from sludge tanks to drying beds.
- Monitors control panels and adjusts valves and gates manually or by remote control to regulate the flow of wastewater through settling, aeration, and sludge digestion processes.
- Reads and interprets charts, flow meters, and other gauges to determine operating efficiency of equipment.
- Lubricates pumps, valves, and other equipment; repairs parts where necessary.
- Prepares the chemicals required for the testing of wastewater.
- Maintains the surrounding grounds.
- Maintains logs, records, and reports relative to the work.
- Requisitions supplies and materials.
- Respondto emergency calls
- Conserve resources wherever possible to ensure budgetary integrity and institution’s satisfaction
- Submit timely reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant and auxiliary equipment.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and its functions.
- Knowledge of the methods and procedures involved in testing sludge and effluent.
- Knowledge of current literature and modern techniques in the field of wastewater treatment.
- Ability to make operating repairs to a wastewater treatment plant and auxiliary equipment.
- Ability to take and record chemical tests of sludge and effluent.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports relative to the work.
- Ability to respond quickly to emergencies.
- Ability to maintain favorable public relations.
- Ability to organize and coordinate the wastewater treatment plant activities of a specific work area.
- Ability to allocate work to other workers.
- Ability to determine work priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to train, direct, and instruct employees.
Physical Working Conditions
The jobs under this position require physically climbing platforms to inspect reactors; handling heavy hoses, pumps, pipes as such the position holder will be to climb high structures and/or ladders, and lift or move heavy objects.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Blantyre City Council
Private Bag 67
Closing date for receiving applications is Friday, 21st April, 2023