Blantyre City Council is inviting applications for the position of Plant Operator.
Ref : BCC/VACS/ADC/125/2023/2
Position : Plant Operator
Reporting to : Sanitation Engineer
Grade : TM I-III
Salary : In line with Terms and Conditions of Services for Blantyre City Council
A TEVET Level 3 Certificate in General Fitting with a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in operation and maintenance of sewage pumps and components. In addition having strong analytical, problem-solving, and teamwork skills will have an added advantage
- Operates and maintains wastewater treatment, sludge processing, and handling equipment.
- Tends pumps, conveyors, blowers, chlorinators, vacuum filters, and other equipment used to treat wastewater.
- Coordinates work by scheduling assignments and overseeing the work of other workers within the plant
- Explains work instructions and adapts, if necessary, pertinent general methods and procedures in order to meet required needs.
- Provides training to other workers within the plant
- Collects samples and makes routine chemical analyses of wastewater at various points in the plant process.
- Cleans and maintain equipment, tanks, filter beds, intake wells and drying beds, and other work areas
- Skims grease, pumps sludge, and transfers sludge from sludge tanks to drying beds.
- Monitors control panels and adjusts valves and gates manually or by remote control to regulate the flow of wastewater through settling, aeration, and sludge digestion processes.
- Reads and interprets charts, flow meters, and other gauges to determine operating efficiency of equipment.
- Lubricates pumps, valves, and other equipment; repairs parts where necessary.
- Prepares the chemicals required for the testing of wastewater.
- Maintains the surrounding grounds.
- Maintains logs, records, and reports relative to the work.
- Requisitions supplies and materials.
- Responds to emergency calls
- Conserves resources wherever possible to ensure budgetary integrity and institution’s satisfaction
- Submits timely reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Applications with copies of certificates should be sent to
Appointments and Disciplinary Committee
Blantyre City Council
Private Bag 67
The closing date for receiving applications is Friday 30th June 2023.