The Local Government Service Commission is inviting applications from suitably qualified Malawians for the following vacancy existing at Blantyre City Council:
Position: Sewarage Engineer (Grade I/M7)
Applicants must be in possession of a Bsc. Degree in Engineering, specializing in Civil, Environmental or Geotechnical disciplines with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a busy industry. Those with a Bsc. Degree with a bias in Chemistry will have an added advantage. Membership to the Chemistry Association of Malawi will also be added advantage.
Handles all technical issues pertaining to the city’s sewer system and ensures proper sludge disposal methods in line with Government regulations.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform the following duties:-
- Periodically conduct wastewater parameter studies to identify and characterize wastewater at various key discharge points in the processing plant with the objective controlling pollutant at source.
- Provide workable actions with plant process personnel to curb uncontrolled practice of allowing the pollutant discharging into sewer lines and causing excessive pollutant ended up in WWTP.
- Gather and analyse wastewater data to ensure full compliance with Department of Environment (DOE) Standard and to identify potential problems and take pre-emptive corrective actions to ensure the WWTP is always in good operating condition.
- Analyse and implement the most cost- effective approach on sludge treatments or disposal methods.
- Manage all chemicals and scheduled wastes in the processing plant and WWTP to ensure full compliance with Government Regulations.
- Manage the Council’s swage laboratory.
- Provide technical direction or supervision to subordinates (engineer, technical personal, operators and lab assistants) on day-to-day operation of WWTP to ensure full compliance to Government Regulations including the following activities:
- Control odor emission from WWTP
- i) Collect and test samples of sewage, employing analysis standards and testing equipment, to ensure treated water meets DOE standards
- i) Inspect machinery and maintain surveillance on operating conditions, gauges and meters to ensure continued efficient operations as well as detect malfunctions
- k) Record and track plant and equipment operational data, including meter and gauge readings, and observe a regular schedule for maintenance and upgrades to prevent system breakdowns
- l) Maintain and repair plant equipment to by using both hand and tools
- m) Prepare and submit report in compliance to the requirements of Government Agencies
• 3 – 5 years of working experience at WWTP or consultant specializing in WWTP design
Detailed job descriptions can be accessed on the Council’s website bccmw.com.
All applications should be addressed to the following address
The Executive Secretary
Local Government Service Commission
Off Paul Kagame Road
P.O Box 776
The deadline for submitting applications is Friday 23rd June 2023.