The Local Government Service Commission is inviting applications from suitably qualified Malawians for the following vacancy existing at Blantyre City Council:
Position : Principal Landfill Engineer (Waste Management) (Grade G/M5)
Applicants must be in possession of a Bsc. Degree in Engineering, specializing in Civil, Environmental or Geotechnical disciplines with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a busy industry
Schedules operations at the landfill; operates heavy equipment used in the operation and maintenance of the landfill; leads, oversees, reviews, and performs the work involved in the supervision of all Landfill employees and Environmental Systems Technicians assigned to that location; and ensures work is completed as scheduled and in accordance with prescribed methods and procedures.
- Provides oversight of the operation and maintenance of the landfill systems that include, but are not limited to: Leachate retention and aeration systems, leachate evaporator systems, methane gas collection system, flare station, and other environmental monitoring and control systems.
- Makes necessary repairs and adjustments, and calibrate and maintain all gas, leachate, and water monitoring equipment.
- Performs and/or coordinate tasks associated with maintenance requirements of regulatory agencies, such as maintenance of the landfill cover and its vegetation, and other duties associated with regulator reports and compliance with regulations, and preventing landfill gas and leachate from escaping from the landfill.
- Orders materials, fuels, supplies, and services; purchases equipment, materials, and supplies within scope of financial authority; monitors and justifies costs and/or expenditures for adherence to operating budget; and maintain inventories of equipment parts and reorder as necessary.
- Maintain records by using computer applications including spreadsheet, database, and presentation software to collect, record, summarize, analyze, report, and display numerical, textual, and graphical information related to the maintenance of the landfill.
- Observes work site and equipment to detect and protect against unsafe or hazardous operating conditions; ensures provision of or provides safety instruction or training for personnel under charge; ensures proper training for personnel in all new equipment or procedures implementation; ensures adherence to established safety standards/procedures for crews under charge; and conducts safety inspections of the entire landfill site, identifying problems and assisting with developing and implementing solutions.
- Assists with the management of personnel functions of the landfill and environmental systems, i.e., assisting in the evaluating performance; allocating personnel; acting on personnel problems; recommending hires, transfers, promotions, disciplinary actions.
- Act as Incident Command in emergency situations at facilities under supervision. May be required to coordinate with outside agencies during emergencies in a professional manner. Must be able to identify, recognize, and detect landfill fires. Must be able to identify proper procedure to extinguish a landfill fire.
- Inspects equipment, containers, and vehicles; ensures equipment, containers, tools, and supplies are properly inventoried, maintained, and used at all times.
- Ensures that all testing is performed and understands results of all testing that includes, but is not limited to gas system, leachate system, transfer station(s) effluent, air quality, and water quality. Ability to read, calculate, and understand all reports from regulations, engineers, etc. in relation to same.
As a positive and engaging candidate you will also display the following:
- a) 4+ years practical experience in Waste and Resource Management within a consultancy;
- b) Demonstrated ability in Engineering design, construction supervision, data analysis, report writing and environmental assessments;
- c) Working knowledge of Malawian and regional environmental legislation and policies, standards and guidelines;
- d) The ability to work autonomously and collaborate with other disciplines within the business;
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: ⋅
- a) Possess a valid driver’s license and be insurable.
b) Possess or have the ability to obtain a valid First Aid card and CPR certification, within one (1) year from date of hire.
- c) Possess the minimum of a valid Class “B” CDL, must obtain a Class “A” CDL with tanker endorsement within one (1) year from date of hire.
- d) Forklift operations Certificate
- e) 40-Hour Hazardous Waste Operations Certification, with an annual 8-hour recertification
- f) Scale House Training Certification
- g) Waste Screening Certification
- h) Traffic Flagging Certification
- i) Ability to obtain Heavy Equipment Training
- j) Ability to obtain CFC Removal certification
- k) Ability to obtain Wastewater Technician Certification
Detailed job descriptions can be accessed on the Council’s website bccmw.com.
All applications should be addressed to the following address
The Executive Secretary
Local Government Service Commission
Off Paul Kagame Road
P.O Box 776
The deadline for submitting applications is Friday 23rd June 2023.